Established in March 2014, the Kent City Athletic Hall of Fame is now in its seventh year of existence. Since its inception, the Kent City Athletic Hall of Fame Committee has chosen 26 individuals and two teams to cement their place in Kent City Athletics’ history. This year, five individuals will take their rightful place in the Kent City Athletic Hall of Fame. On Friday, February 28, we will hold a formal Kent City Athletic Hall of Fame Induction ceremony following the Kent City vs. Holton basketball games in the High School Auditorium. Leading up to our ceremony, we will highlight our newest inductees at our varsity basketball games and wrestling matches in our Game Day programs and on www.kentictyathletics.com.
Inducted in 2020, Denny was the definition of a three sport athlete, leading the Eagles in football, basketball, and track and field.
- Played varsity football for three seasons during which time the Eagles won two conference championships (1974 and 1975).
- 1975 Football team was the first team to finish the season with an undefeated record at 7-0-1
- Earned all-conference in football in all three seasons at both defensive end and fullback.
- Earned all-conference in basketball during his junior and senior seasons.
- Led the team in scoring and rebounding during his senior season.
- Averaged 17 rebounds per game during senior season, leading the conference.
- Grabbed 30 rebounds in a single game against Tri-County.
- Four year member of the varsity track and field team.
- Set school records in the Discus (128’8”) in 1976 and was a member of the school record 440 Relay team (47.3) in 1975.
- Jumped over 20’ in the long jump.
- Played football at Olivet College following graduation.
Have we left someone out? Please help us by nominating those student-athletes, coaches, and teams from Kent City. Nominations for the 2021 Kent City Hall of Fame Class will be accepted until Monday, December 7, 2020.
Kent City Athletic Hall of Fame
- Cory Anderson
- Kristi (Boehm) Vanderkam
- Scott Carlson
- Kevin Elliott
- Pam Larson
- Amber (Johnson) Roach
- Denise (Carlson) Boehm
- Molly (Ringer) Reidy
- Sid Smith
- Allison (Vanhorn) DeBoer
- John Chappell
- Kirk Freeland
- Scott Clark
- Stephen Morales
- Brian Layer
- Doug Weston
- Gary Woodhull
- Dan Weston
- 2006 Girls Track and Field Team
- Christine (Wolter) Dunnuck
- 1933 Boys Basketball Team
- Walt Elliott
- Troy Pelak
- Alex Wilson
- Shannon Carlson
- Jacob Thompson
- Adam Anderson
- Mike Shirey
- Monica Shirey
- Bill VanHorn
- Mark Shirey
- Denny Devos