Opportunities like this do not come along very often. This is the seventh time in the past nine seasons Kent City has won the MHSAA District championship and advanced to the regional round of the tournament, but the first time they are going to open up against the number one ranked team in the state of Michigan on opening night. Not to mention in the Nest. The last time Kent City hosted a Regional in basketball was in 2012 when Kent City advanced to the Regional Finals with a 24-0 record before falling to the eventual state champion and future conference arch-nemesis Morley Stanwood who also finished the season undefeated. The Mohawks were not the number one team in the state coming into the game, though, they pulled an upset or two in the final three rounds of the tournament to earn the state championship.
Morley Stanwood is back again in 2019, they will play Calvin Christian in the first game at 6:00 p.m. with their sites set on an all CSAA Silver Regional final. The Kent City vs. Pewamo Westphalia game is scheduled to tip-off at 7:30 p.m. One thing that will be similar to the previous regional that was played in the Nest will be the amount of fan-fare that the game will garner. We are expecting capacity crowds on Monday night, so please plan accordingly. All four schools playing on Monday travel extremely well. Please take the following things into consideration as you plan to cheer on the Eagles:
- All Tickets are $6.00 — No Passes will be accepted.
- Please make use of the parking lot behind the high school.
- We will open our doors at 5:00 p.m. for the first game tipping off at 6:00 p.m. We will not clear the gym between games, although the student sections will be reset.
- All signs must be approved by the Tournament Manager and no signs on sticks will be admitted.
- The baseline on each end of the court must remain clear from traffic throughout the games.
We encourage everyone to join us on Monday night to experience a big night in our small community!