As we near the end of the first half of our fall schedule at the Kent City Pool, we are going to make some adjustments based on our usage numbers and to better accommodate some of our programming. We also wanted to highlight our second round of swim lessons which are set to kick off in the next couple of weeks. Before we get to that, we wanted to highlight some of the many successes we have had at the Kent City Pool:
Boys/Girls Junior Swim Team:
The Boys/Girls Junior Swim Teams have been meeting throughout the fall 2018. With over 50 children in grades 2-5 participating, our pool is busy on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. Each Tuesday and Thursday, our elementary students board a bus following school and are dropped off at the pool. While there, they have been learning the different swimming strokes and practicing the different techniques associated with competitive swimming.
Water Barre Classes:
Our Water Barre Class is a fitness class that will challenge anyone, regardless of age or ability. Water Barre is a combination of yoga and ballet, but is done in the water. Dusty Linsely leads the class that has been very well attended throughout the summer and into the fall. We are adjusting the starting time to better accommodate the schedules of our adults who love this opportunity!
Kent City Elementary Swimming Program:
Students in grades 1st through 3rd have started their swimming lessons during the school day in their physical education classes. Kent City has a long history of teaching its students this life-saving skill through its physical education classes. We are pleased to continue this tradition in the month of October this fall! In fact, here is picture from the January, 1987 Eagle Report of our elementary students at the Kent City Pool:
Monday and Saturday Swim Lessons:
Our swim lessons continue to be our major focus at Kent City as we teach children both in the Kent City Community and surrounding communities how to swim. The first session of the Fall 2018 schedule is winding down and we are preparing for our next session which will begin in a couple of weeks. After a very busy summer, we still had 20 students in our first round of swim lessons. As people get back into a normal “school routine,” we expect this number to increase in our second session.
Read on to see the changes and to get your youngster signed up for one of our Swim Lesson sessions.
Kent City Pool Schedule Changes:
We are making the following changes to our Fall schedule:
- Sunday: No Changes
- Monday: We will be cancelling Water Fitness (5:15 p.m. — 6:00 p.m.) and Open Fitness (8:00 p.m. — 8:45 p.m.) due to lack of interest.
- Tuesday: We are cancelling Arthritis H20 (5:30 p.m. — 6:15 p.m.) due to a lack of interest. We are also moving our Open Swim back one hour to begin at 5:30 p.m. and continue until 7:30 p.m. to better accommodate our lifeguard schedule.
- Wednesday: We are moving our popular Water Barre Class to a later time slot to accommodate busy schedules to 7:00 p.m. — 7:45 p.m. We will be cancelling Adult Swim Lessons as we have not had any interest. We will also be moving our Open Swim time to 4:45 p.m. — 6:45 p.m. Finally, we are cancelling Open Fitness from 8:00 p.m. — 8:45 p.m. due to a lack of interest.
- Thursday: We will be cancelling Water Fitness (5:30 p.m. — 6:15 p.m.) due to a lack of interest.
- Friday: No Changes
- Saturday: We are cancelling Open Fitness (7:45 a.m. — 8:45 a.m.) due to a lack of interest.
Here is an updated schedule:
We will be closing the pool for the Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend starting on Thursday, November 22 and continuing through Sunday, November 25. The pool will open again on Monday, November 26 for its regular scheduled hours.
2nd Session — Fall Swim Lessons:
Monday Night Swim Lessons (6 Meetings)
Session 2: Monday, October 22 — Monday, November 26
Basic/Upper Basic: 6:15 p.m. — 7:00 p.m.
Preschool/Aqua Tots: 7:15 p.m. — 7:45 p.m.
Intermediate/Advanced: 7:15 p.m. — 8:00 p.m.
Thursday Night Swim Lessons (6 Meetings)
Session 2: Thursday, October 18 — November 29 (No Class on Thanksgiving Day)
Preschool/Aqua Tots: 6:30 p.m. — 7:00 p.m.
Basic/Upper Basic: 7:15 p.m. — 8:00 p.m.
Intermediate/Advanced: 7:15 p.m. — 8:00 p.m.
Saturday Morning Swim Lessons (6 Meetings)
Session 2: Saturday, October 20 — Saturday, December 1 (No Class on Saturday, November 24)
Basic/Upper Basic: 9:00 a.m. — 9:45 a.m.
Preschool/Aqua Tots: 10:00 a.m. — 10:30 a.m.
Intermediate/Advanced: 10:00 a.m. — 10:45 a.m.
Please note, we will not run our swim lessons without at least 6 students signed up for a session. If we do not have enough interest, we will offer you another time slot on a different day during the 2nd session of the Fall 2018 or you can choose to take lessons at a later time. We will contact you if we fail to meet this minimum standard.
To enroll in swim lessons we have three options:
- Call the H.S. Office (616) 678-4210
- Email the Kent City Pool at email@example.com
- Enroll online and pay with a credit card at Cedar Springs Parks and Recreation: http://csaparksandrec.com/